Wednesday, April 24, 2013

4/24/2013

"OLD SCHOOL" Team Preview

Season Summany: I, first want to say how proud I am of the team. There were quite a bit of ups and downs (and yes, as of right now, we are at a down), but overall, we still ended up being 2nd place. Not bad for being our first time playing in this league, AND might I add in a longer season than a summer league season. Today I will mainly be talking about what each player needs to work on before this upcoming weekend. Also, I will be announcing awards for those who deserves it the most. So if your name was not called, please, and I do mean "PLEASE" do not complain about it since your efforts throughout the season are what got you those awards. Again, one more time, congrats on a very good season...now it's time to get ready for the sweeps a.k.a post-season. w00t w00t!! (yes, I am a geek)
  
Side Note: I understand some of you were wondering why I did not write the past couple of weeks. Well, quite honestly, I was too tired and just wanted to focus on key things we can really work while getting ready for the sweeps.

June Wei (Avg: 109)
Overall Grade: B
Review: In the beginning, it was really rough for June to be consistent, but once she started to learn how to throw the ball, it became a little more clear for her on how to become consistent. Her avg in the beginning of the season was a nasty 90 pins; not only did she bump that up +29 pins, but she also bowled her career high scratch total of 164 pins. Congrats on that, but still, she really is inconsistent, and if there was one word to describe her overall game, inconsistency (and any other antonym) would be it. So I looked over the previous weeks as well as analyzing her performances, which leads me to give her a solid B. Nice job!

The one thing she really needs to work on (mentally speaking) is to choose where she wants to throw the ball and stick with it, permanently. Too many times I see her change spots with her scores going down all because she doesn't feel confident throwing the ball from where she stands.

Russ Overton (Avg: 162)
Overall Grade: A+
Review: Russ did a fantastic job throughout the year. Russ went on a hot run that helped us win a lot of games especially late into the season, which really helped propel us to 2nd place. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he winds up winning the MVP of the season. He hit his lanes quick and quite often. He had a knack on hitting them strikes and when he hit strikes on a consistent basis, you'll tend to win games.

The one thing I ask Russ to really work on and he and I both know he will is to focus in on the games. Russ is a playoffs type of player and could care less about the regular season, which is quite understandable so I'm more than anxious to see the real Russ at the sweeps this weekend. Can't wait...
Henry Wei (Avg: 159)
Overall Grade: A-/B+
Review: I'm a little torn on what exact grade I want to give myself. It's really between an A- and a B+. In the beginning of the season, I was placed last on the team to be the "buffer", to be "Mr. Clutch" and to be the guy to help the team to either keep the lead or help win the games. Interestingly enough, we did win quite a bit of games during the 1st half of the season. In fact, one would argue, I had an early lead in the MVP standings (for whatever it's worth). Once, Roum took my place, I decided to be more aggressive. During the 2nd half though, I have been mighty inconsistent, and I can honestly say I have dropped out of the MVP race.

One thing I need to work on is find the lanes and don't (for the love of God) let go. There's been too many games when I find the lanes early and I eventually lose it or it takes me 1-2 games in order for me to find any part of the lanes.

Roum Evangelista (Avg: 169)

Overall Grade: A-
Review:Roum's been tricky. Although, in the beginning he was bowling poor, but once he got switched to the last spot to be our buffer, Roum finished the season real strong like Superman on steroids strong. I'll admit I wasn't too sure on whether Roum would be able to make a comeback, but he really toughened up and showed some grit. Encore for his performance; still though, he did not beat his career high.

One thing Roum can really work on, "don't think, just bowlllllll." (if you know the reference to that quote then you deserve a drink from loose tea on me - first one to tell me via person, txt or call gets wins) So, stop thinking, Roum.
Team's Awards
MVP: Russ - Was this even a surprise. The guy was our SOW, SOM and SOY. Nothing less. And no, I'm not giving this award to him all because he's my manager so don't get any ideas. Russ earned it, period.

Dr. Clutch: Henry - There were quite a bit of games when it came down to me to either help tie or win those games. Let's just say I helped win those games when I had those opportunities.

Most Improved Player: Roum & June - Both improved in different ways. June improved from the start of the year, while Roum started to improve during the 2nd half. So I decided to give it to both.

Highest Scoring Champ: Obviously, I do not have the 1st half of the season stats, but I do know that this award does goes to Russ.

Post Notes: I will have a finalized schedule for Vegas by Wednesday.

Vegas trip schedule so far. The '?' are things I'm not sure what to do so please comment on suggestions.
Friday
1-4:30 PM: Leave from work, eat light lunch and head to Vegas Airport *w00t w00t*
4:30-5:30 PM: Pick up Russ from Airport and head to Posh Burger Bistro. Should take roughly 20 min from the airport depending on traffic.
9921 W Charleston Blvd
Ste 6

Las Vegas, NV 89117
5:30-7 PM: Dinner @ Posh Burger Bistro. Great reviews at Yelp and Russ wants this. Your welcome Russ.
7-8 PM: Head to South Point Hotel and check in.
8-10 PM: Practice Bowling 3 games. Website shows $3.25/game.
10- PM/AM: Free to do whatevers but remember to take time to rest up as well. Roum and I will go ahead and visit Mandalay Bay to check out any new info on the blackjack tourney.

Saturday
9-10 AM: Wake up and get ready for brunch.
10-12 PM: Brunch at 10 so that way person like Russ can go take a nap or rest up before the sweeps. There are not a lot of restaurants around here that are really worth it for brunch. Other than a Sushi restaurant and Sub Sandwich shop, there's not a lot of places with good ratings.
12-3 PM: I'm going to take this time to spend it with June and Lily. Russ can go rest up if he wants and based on what time the Black Jack tourney is at we'll play it by ear.
3-7 PM: Sweeps (based on the timings we bowled in Laughlin, I'm going to assume we'll follow the same schedule otherwise these timing are subject to change)
7-10 PM: Rio Buffet (this is also including us waiting)
10- PM/AM: Fun/gambling

Sunday:
9-11 AM: Hash House (I highly recommend getting here as early as possible, gets packed REAL easily)
12 PM: Check out and head back

No comments:

Post a Comment