Thursday, March 14, 2013

3/13/2013

"OLD SCHOOL" Team Review

Preview: Right in the middle of March, we are in our 26th week in, and we're 7 games behind the 1st place team. This week we will be going against Team #15 (w/handicap of 178) as they are coming off of a 1 win game from last week. With the season getting closer to the end, will we as a team be able to make noise and climb closer to first place or will we stumble and fail to reach the top? Moment of truth...

Summary: 4-0. Not only did we answer, we dominated that question.

June Wei (Avg: 110)
Scores: 117, 113, 102
Overall Grade: B
Review: Not to sound too picky, but this week is obviously a major down week for Jiyoon. Not one game did she even get close to 150. I'll give the fact two games she bowled above her avg, but let's face it, with those kind of scores, it won't make any noise at sweeps.
  1. Hit a convincing strike on the 5th frame with spin. 7th frame, she guttered the first attempt by releasing crossbody, in other words, she let the ball go too late with her arm already crossing her body.
  2. Again, on the 7th frame, she threw crossbody. 
  3. 5th frame, June missed the 6-pin spare. That's a no-no right there. Barely got 100.
Based on what we can see the highlights of her missed attempts, June needs to stop letting the ball go too late. One piece of advice, the opponent gave me is to have her stop gripping the ball with her thumb, which is the sole reason why the ball is thrown too far towards the left. Another advice given is to have her thumb pointed up while gripping the ball, and the install finger tips. We'll take a look into this for this weekend.

Russ Overton (Avg: 160)
Scores: 178, 165, 217
Overall Grade: A+
Review: All in all, great game. Russ really got it going today when at first, I'll admit, the first game would have been his best game of the match. Instead, Russ rose to the occasion and even got a season high, 217. Well done, and let's hope we can continue to get at least 200 all throughout the match. Russ is in more than mid-season form, I would dare say he's ready for the sweeps. This is all based on what I have witnessed over the past two to three months.
  1. 7th frame strike was pretty lucky.
  2. Got a terrible split on the 2nd frame, which Russ did not convert.
  3. First 4 frames were strikes; total of 7 strikes. Very impressive. No obvious miss.
Russ did great, nothing to be picky about. Although, this raises the level of expectations I will have for Russ when it comes to sweeps.

Henry Wei (Avg: 157)
Scores: 192, 201, 143
Overall Grade: A-
Review: The first two games definitely earns me the A, but I'll go ahead and admit that I slacked off at the end. I figured someone should in the team and give the opponent some sort of fighting chance so that we don't make them think all we want to do is armagaedonically (don't care if this is not a word but you get the picture) destroy them. Because I did not bowl my avg I gave myself a "-" instead of an A like Russ.
  1. First 3 frames were strikes. 4th frame missed the 9,10 spare. 10th frame, missed the 7-pin spare.
  2. Missed the 10-pin spare on the 1st frame. Hit 5 strikes in a row; two were lucky --> anytime I get a brooklyn-strike, it's out of luck. 
  3. 3rd frame, missed the 10-pin spare. 6th frame, got a 7,10 split. Got another 4,7,6,10 split.
Definitely will need to work on my spares especially the 10-pin spares. Found my lanes and continually stick to the lanes even when the lane conditions were starting to wear down. Will look into getting a new ball this weekend.

Roum Evangelista (Avg: 167)
Scores: 160, 182, 210
Overall Grade: A
Review: Some of you are wondering why the heck am I giving Roum an A and not an A+. Well, to be honest, I gave it some thought, and originally I was going to give Roum a strong A+. But, when I looked at the scores more carefully, it hit me that Roum bowled 7 pins below his avg on his 1st game. Yes, he was not given time to practice, but I want to note he did come in late. Well, there was quite a bit of traffic on his way back. But I can make the point he forgot his ball, which should not have happened in the first place. Also, Roum should not have had bowled below his avg. And to be consistent and fair with Russ all his games above his avg, I decided to give Roum an A.
  1. Horrible 1st frame. Hit the 10-pin spare on the 8th frame. Lucky strike on the 9th. Converted a 1,2,7,10 spare on the 10th to help give us another shot to win it. Clutch.
  2. 2nd frame, missed the 8,10 spare. 3rd frame missed the 10-pin spare. 4th frame missed the 3,6 spare. 6th frame, missed the 10-pin spare. Not good missing back to back, but back to back to back?
  3. Nothing. Purposely missed the 10th frame. 
Awesome job. Bowled extremely well. After all, Roum helped us close all 3 games, starting with the toughest shot to convert a split on last frame of the 1st game. I'll gladly relinquish and hand over the closer status to Roum especially with sweeps coming up.

Team's Overall Performance: A-

Wow!! A sweep against a strong team in Team #15. I loved how they were complaining and clueless on how they were going to catch up and beat us. I've seen them bowl against other teams and trust me when I say I'm sure as hell they would have done the same thing to us if we were in their shoes. But, one of the opponent was right, this is the type of game we need to have if we want any chance on getting something back at sweeps. There are obviously things we need to work on. I feel that we will have a much better chance reaching first place with a convincing win such as today's. This game showcases us on how we can beat the stronger teams out there in the league. Beating two guys hitting above 200's is not an easy task. Today was probably the very first time we bowled as a team to win the games. Normally you would have someone go off and bowl crazy hot to help us win the games. For example, the 1st game, June helped us get closer by bowling consistent towards the end. Russ bowled consistent all throughout even with some bad breaks. I helped us stay in the game by bowling strikes and spares. Roum closed out the win. This right here is awesome teamwork and I hope we will keep doing this throughout the season and at sweeps. May the Bowl be with us...

Post Notes: Next week we will be on lanes 29-30 going against team 2 (Shanangains). This is Joe Cantu's team so might I note (Roum) that this is your time to shine. Their handicap is 161 to our 208. but this isn't an obvious win for us since we all know how well Joe can bowl and pretty much carry this team all by himself if he has to. This obviously gives us a 47 pin advantage so I highly suggest to not let this match slip even with a decent lead. Also, due to me not trusting any of Joe's scores, I'm not going to even look at what their scores were the previous week. All I know is, don't F-up, get the spares when asked and if we can bowl the same we did today minus June (sorry, but you really need to improve, all eyes on June next week) we'll be fine.

Russ told me that he will not be joining us for the bowling practice Joe's hosting at Yorba Linda on Mar 16th. Info for the Yorba Linda practice:
Location: Yorba Linda Bowl (18171 Imperial Hwy Yorba Linda, CA 92885). 
Date: Mar 16th
Time: 4:00 pm
Cost: $15 / 1.5 hrs (NOT including food)
Yelp rating: 2.5 stars but who cares since Joe will be there

Practice is still on, and Roum, June and I will be attending Joe's practice session on Saturday.

Vegas trip schedule so far. The '?' are things I'm not sure what to do so please comment on suggestions.
Friday
12-4 PM: Leave from work, eat light lunch and head to Vegas *w00t w00t*
4-5 PM: Check-in and rest up
5-7 PM: Dinner
8-10 PM: Practice Bowling 3 games
10- PM/AM: Free to do whatevers but remember to take time to rest up as well. Roum and I will go ahead and visit Mandalay Bay to check out the Black Jack tournament times.

Saturday
9-10 AM: Wake up and get ready for brunch.
10-12 PM: Brunch at 10 so that way person like Russ can go take a nap or rest up before the sweeps.
12-3 PM: I'm going to take this time to spend it with June and Lily. Russ can go rest up if he wants and based on what time the Black Jack tourney is at we'll play it by ear.
3-7 PM: Sweeps (based on the timings we bowled in Laughlin, I'm going assuming we'll follow the same schedule otherwise these timing are subject to change)
7-10 PM: Rio Buffet (this is also including us waiting)
10- PM/AM: Fun/gambling

Sunday:
9-11 AM: Hash House (I highly recommend getting here as early as possible, gets packed REAL easily)
12 PM: Head back

No comments:

Post a Comment