Wednesday, March 20, 2013

3/20/2013

"OLD SCHOOL" Team Review

Preview: Right in the middle of March, we are in our 27th week, and currently 3 games behind the 1st place team. This week we will be going against Team #2 (Shanangains w/handicap of 161) as they are coming off of a 1 win game from last week. The last time these two teams went against each other, we were able to pull off a win of 3-1. With the season near its end, can we pull off the win, again? After all, it's Joe Cantu's team.

Summary: 2-2. Ugly. Messy. But somehow not a loss.

Side Note: I'm afraid to say, but I somehow lost the score sheet. I strongly believed I had it with me, but I guess not. Since I do not have the sheet, the reviews will be a lot shorter than what they would have been. I, apologize for this mishap and will make sure something like this does not happen, again.

June Wei (Avg: 110)
Scores: 89, 100, 136
Overall Grade: C
Review: Would have been a D if it wasn't for her incredible run at the end of game 3. From what I remember, June kept on pulling the ball more towards the left. This caused her to miss numerous spares hence the low scores. Towards the end, she was able to realize to throw from the right so the ball will move towards the pocket. June will need to practice more and more ever since Joe Almighty was able to assist her with her throwing motion, but she will be gone with weekend further delaying her practice time. If I was June, I would try to go bowling at least once during the trip. Key word: go.

Russ Overton (Avg: 161)
Scores: 172, 134, 219
Overall Grade: B+
Review: There's a lot to say about Russ's game that could have made his scores much better than what they actually are. But...since I don't have that blasted sheet, I can not show without proof on which particular frames Russ should have spared (but didn't). Lucky break for Russ, I guess. Other than that, Russ performed rather well and got hot during the 3rd game. He helped keep us alive in the 3rd game with a whopping score of 219. In fact, he bested his season high with a 219, because of this I got no other choice but to give him the SOW.

Henry Wei (Avg: 158)
Scores: 203, 131, 167
Overall Grade: B-
Review: If I had to sum up my performance in one word, it would have to be "inconsistent". There's no excuse bowling a 203 in the 1st game and then a 131 in the 2nd. On top of that missing 5 frames in a row in the 3rd game totaling up a score of 40. But, the key word that needs to be mentioned is persistence. I did not give up at the end and was able to pull off a good comeback getting a total of 167 at the end of the 3rd game. Because of the score of 200 and overall bowling an avg score of 9 pins better than my avg, I decided to give myself a B- instead of a C+ even though I was incredibly inconsistent. I really need to work on getting the 3,6,10 spares. They doomed me all throughout the 2nd game, and we will practice this Saturday even if its only Roum and me.

Roum Evangelista (Avg: 168)
Scores: 155, 166, 173
Overall Grade: B-
Review: Speaking of Roum, he did not do too well, but he didn't do too bad. Yes, the two first games he was not able to hit his avg, but he was able to bowl consistent, which we have not quite witnessed for awhile especially when Roum is having lots of trouble finding his lanes. Roum tried to follow the advice Joe gave him. We'll need to work more on this through practice. 10-pin spares also doomed Roum on getting higher scores. Roum needs to learn to give a little more rotation when he slows down the ball. He missed quite a bit of spares because of this reason alone. I'll definitely be looking forward to this Saturday when we do get to practice.

Team's Overall Performance: C

June did not show up at all this week when all eyes were on her to grab the SOW. I'm hoping some time off and some relaxation will help her get it back together this weekend. I'll admit I'm more than happy to get a 2-2 tie and not a 1-3 loss against a decent team in Team #2. We must give them credit where credit is definitely due because all throughout the match both Joe and Larry not only bowled consistently, but when they got on fire, it was really, really tough to put the fire out. And the only way to do that is to bowl strikes consistently, which for us was quite sporadic. I know Team #1 either got a 3-1 or 4-0 win; if that's the case then we'll be either behind by 7 games or 6 games. Either way, we will need to start getting sweeps if we want to get a shot at winning this league. We need to do better and I'm counting on everyone, myself included, to really pick it up and not digress. Start aiming for your goals. In about a month, we will be bowling at sweeps, time is not on our side.

Post Notes: Next week we will be on lanes 31-32 going against team 9 (no name). Their handicap is 200, which means we won't be hiding behind our handicap scores. We'll need to not only bowl well, but better than well. This team is no joke, and I'm sure they're going to come at us guns blazing. Out of the 4 players, 3 of their own can score at least 202, the 2nd highest is 226 and the other bowler's highest is 235. Get mentally ready for this one. From here on out, it's only going to get tougher both mentally and physically.

In case if you missed it, June will be out of town this weekend.

Practice is still on for Roum and me this Saturday.

Vegas trip schedule so far. The '?' are things I'm not sure what to do so please comment on suggestions.
Friday
12-4 PM: Leave from work, eat light lunch and head to Vegas *w00t w00t*
4-5 PM: Check-in and rest up
5-7 PM: Dinner
8-10 PM: Practice Bowling 3 games
10- PM/AM: Free to do whatevers but remember to take time to rest up as well. Roum and I will go ahead and visit Mandalay Bay to check out the Black Jack tournament times.

Saturday
9-10 AM: Wake up and get ready for brunch.
10-12 PM: Brunch at 10 so that way person like Russ can go take a nap or rest up before the sweeps.
12-3 PM: I'm going to take this time to spend it with June and Lily. Russ can go rest up if he wants and based on what time the Black Jack tourney is at we'll play it by ear.
3-7 PM: Sweeps (based on the timings we bowled in Laughlin, I'm going assuming we'll follow the same schedule otherwise these timing are subject to change)
7-10 PM: Rio Buffet (this is also including us waiting)
10- PM/AM: Fun/gambling

Sunday:
9-11 AM: Hash House (I highly recommend getting here as early as possible, gets packed REAL easily)
12 PM: Head back

No comments:

Post a Comment